The Link Between Personality Profiles and Recruiting
by Judy LaDeur
In a recent article, we talked about the importance of knowing a person’s “Love Language”, which shows how that person wants to be shown appreciation, but this week we will talk about the DISC test. The DISC tells you how they are motivated, how they will respond when they are unhappy, and what it takes to recruit them and retain them. I have always used a DISC test when hiring new agents into the real estate industry. I also use a test when hiring team members, admin staff, recruiters and managers. Why? Each of us has specific natural strengths which allow us to do our job easier, which increases the odds for success.
As a Broker, Manager or Recruiter, using a behavior test makes your job so much easier!
What is DISC? It is a “personality profiling system”. A DISC Profile utilizes a method for understanding behavior, temperament, and personality. It provides a comprehensive overview of the way that people think, act, and interact. It is the most widely used tool of its kind. The DISC Personality Profile is based on the work of renowned psychologist Dr. William Moulton Marston, and was introduced in his 1928 book “Emotions of Normal People” . William Marston, a contemporary of Carl Jung, developed the DISC Personality Profile after studying the personality traits, behavioral patterns, and instinctual reactions of thousands of individuals. As a result of his work, Marston developed the DISC assessment as a tool to measure four primary behavioral traits:
By understanding a person’s behavior pattern, you can:
- Strengthen communication skills
- Build or identify leadership abilities
- Diffusing interpersonal conflict
- Boosting performance and productivity
- Increase motivation
- Strengthen workplace skills and relationships
- Make smart hiring decisions
Personality is the basis of who we are and what we do. Here is a quick overview of each personality type.
With Dominant people
- Build respect to avoid conflict
- Focus on facts and ideas rather than the people
- Have evidence to support your argument
- Be quick, focused, and to the point
- Ask what, not how
- Talk about how problems will hinder accomplishments
- Show them how they can succeed
With Influential people
- Be social and friendly with them, building the relationship
- Listen to them talk about their ideas
- Help them find ways to translate the talk into useful action
- Don’t spend much time on the details
- Motivate them to follow through to complete tasks
- Recognize their accomplishments
With Steady people
- Be genuinely interest in them as a person
- Create a human working environment for them
- Give them time to adjust to change
- Clearly define goals for them and provide ongoing support
- Recognize and appreciate their achievements
- Avoid hurry and pressure
- Present new ideas carefully
With Conscientious people
- Warn them in time and generally avoid surprises
- Be prepared. Don’t ad-lib with them if you can
- Be logical, accurate and use clear data
- Show how things fit into the bigger picture
- Be specific in disagreement and focus on the facts
- Be patient, persistent and diplomatic
We are including a chart that covers many different areas of each personality type, and how each type responds differently to the same situation. If you are not familiar with the DISC test, one of my favorite sites is http://www.alessandra.com/tahome.asp. Dr. Tony Alessandra has developed several different tests with extensive reports attached. If you have never taken a DISC test, I would recommend that you take one for yourself, as well as the key members of your team. As you get more familiar with the various different personalities, you will be able to quickly determine the behavior patterns of those you manage, live with and are recruiting.
Continue to learn how to be the master recruiting skills and be the broker to join in your market. If recruiting is a challenge for you, we can help.
Join us between Black Friday and Cyber Monday and take advantage of our special offer of 40% off with the promo code FLASHFRIDAY any 6 MONTH OR ANNUAL pro membership. That’s 40% off everything you need to be in the right place at the right time when the agents you want are ready to make a move – including SEVEN HOURS of recruiting audio training which covers:
- interview skills
- objection handling
- phone calls
- recruiting strategies
- handling stalls
- recruiting to specific personality types
- and so much more…
What are you waiting for? Join today and save 40% — and add up to 10 managers on your account at no additional cost.
Not sure if this is the right thing for your company? We invite you to join us for an open, free webinar December 8th to learn everything you need to know about why brokers across the country are using this powerful platform to simplify their recruiting and have a little more fun while they are at it. We will also be sharing some of the best ideas that have come from this year’s webinars with experts and recruiters from around the world! Join us! REGISTER HERE. Questions? Email us today.