You can’t control the storm, but you can adjust your sails.
We are facing a crisis that we have never seen before, and from where we sit, most Brokers are doing a great job of navigating through torturous and unknown waters.
Most changes are happening with little or no notice from government agencies. Brokers and companies are learning as they go, making changes in their course as needed.
The majority of Brokers that we are talking to are working tirelessly to stay on top of what is happening and they are quickly getting up to speed, but some of the Brokers are in panic mode and feel out of control.
Let’s chart out the paths that each group is taking:
Group 1: These are the companies and Brokers who are working around the clock to implement the strategies and policies to keep agents working, and their offices running. They are trying new things, and they are talking to their peers to see what is working and what it not. The most successful companies/ Brokers all have one thing in common: they are using video and technology to communicate daily to their team and to keep the company operating. In times of trouble, everyone looks to the leader to see how he or she is responding. It’s so important to stay calm, confident and transparent during this time. Constant communication about what you are doing, what you are researching, what you have discovered and what comes next is one of the most important things you can do right now. Our industry has gone virtual overnight. Each state has different operating guidelines that they must follow. Some are finding ways to show homes without physically being in them, contracts are being written without physically viewing the home, closings are occurring without being physically present, listing presentations are conducted on line via Zoom, and calls are diverted to staff members who are working from home. Kudos to each of you who stepped up to the helm and took responsibility to guiding your office though the storm. It’s not over, but the winds have calmed a bit.
For every office who is doing a great job, there is another office in the same market who is not. These represent Brokers and companies in Group 2.
Group 2: Brokers in group 2 are so overwhelmed right now, they don’t know what to do or which way to go. They are not making the necessary changes and in many cases are not implementing guidelines to keep their agents and their clients safe. I have talked to Brokers in both groups. Group 2 is bracing for the hit and hoping they survive. They are scared, but everyone is. Again, we are all in uncharted waters, but some will fare the storm better than others.
What should you do to navigate the storm?
- Daily video’s to your agents, or at least one video message every 2-3 days to keep everyone updated and informed.
- Video’s to your clients and the consumer. What are you doing to keep everyone safe and what are you doing to insure the successful closing of homes under contract.
- Zoom meetings with your staff several times per week to keep everyone updated and to stay on top of new challenges they are facing.
- Zoom sales meetings with your team to answer questions, get their feedback, and handle any challenge they are facing in the field.
- Create written policies to use when showing properties and for sellers or listing agents to prep a home for showing. There are simple things that can be done to insure everyone’s safety.
- Zoom social gatherings for those who are more social. Everyone grabs their favorite beverage and unwinds with their peers online. It’s also a great way for everyone to share their ideas and what they are doing.
- Reach out to fellow Broker Owners to share ideas, via Zoom, social media groups or via phone.
- This is also a great time for online training. Search out training which will help your agents in today’s market, or training on any aspect of their business. Agents have more time to fine tune their skills and sharpen the blade. Keep them engaged verses sitting at home watching the news.
Some are facing greater challenges than others right now, but we are all in this together. Let’s share with each other, support one another and look for solutions. Together we will survive and be stronger at the end of their journey.
Join us March 31st for a powerful discussion webinar on “Managing the Change”.
We’re here for you during this time. We’ve adapted all of our monthly content to reflect the ever-changing climate we are in. We’re developing resources that can help you adapt as well.
For ongoing resources and stay-in-touch weekly content, join The Profitable Recruiter. Take 50% off any membership with the promo code 50OFF. When you join – you and up to 10 managers can access your account! Try it for a month and see what it can do for you.
We will also be rolling out a new CRM next week to help brokers during this time! Stay tuned.