By Real Estate Recruiting Coach Judy LaDeur
How many agents have you talked to the past 12 months who were not ready to join, but gave you permission to stay in touch? One of the easiest ways to recruit more agents each year is to follow up with those who say “no” initially. The decision to change offices is a tough one, and when the market is strong, it’s even tougher! Sometimes, due to fear of the unknown, the agent will stay put. Have you ever heard that people will stay with something they know, even if it is not good, rather than make a change? The logic is that at least they know what they have. Change requires that they venture into the unknown. However, brokers who consistently follow up with agents after the interview, say that up to 50% of their hires each year were results of follow up.
Here are six powerful ways you can follow up directly and indirectly:
1. Call. One of the least favorite things for brokers to do, but one of the most effective. Some of the best people to call are those your agents have had transactions within the last 30-60 days. If they’ve had positive experiences, call those agents and congratulate them on their professionalism and give them kudos for a job well done. Let them know if they are ever interested in exploring other options – you’d love to sit down and meet.
2. Send a Lumpy Letter. These are perfect for capturing attention, showing that you are not only interested but a creative and even fun broker that’s willing to be outside the box. It gets them thinking — and talking! Sometimes it’s even good for recruiting more agent than one for that very reason! Learn more here.
3. Use weekly e-newsletters. These are terrific, especially for emotional agents. When they are non-invasive or pushy – but instead motivational, give great tips, and spotlight you as a leader and a broker who is in the know in the marketplace — recruiting prospects respond very well. John from New York had this to say, “I am surprised at how hungry the industry is for local news and statistics. The number of agents who come up to me at broker open house events and association functions to comment on the Monday Morning Wake Up Call newsletters. This opens the door for a “getting to know each other” conversation.”
4. Be present in your market. This is no time to be a stealth broker. Agents are busier right now than they’ve been in years. When they see a broker who takes time out to attend broker opens, board events that they are honored in, charity functions that they are part of, etc. — it shows them that you are more than a name on a door. It shows them that you someone who’s willing to be part of their solutions.
5. Make an invitation. Got an agent you’d really like to sit down with? Let them know. Send them an invitation for a cup of coffee, or a lunch at their favorite spot. Let them know, no pressure, no sales pitch. You just would like to get to know them a little better and you appreciate what they are bringing to your market.
6. Offer training. Right now agents are often in 24/7 mode, but offering training at the end of the summer with a great speaker, powerful topics, and terrific takeaways can be a great introduction to what you bring to the table. Let them know it’s the kind of training that sets the perfect pace for the rest of the year and will help them kick off a fantastic fall season. Make it easy and non-threatening for them to register, and extend the offer as a by-invitation-only event.
Now, more than ever, it’s important to FOLLOW up with agents. Why? We have just had the best real estate market that most agents have ever experienced. When they are making money, they feel confident. They also feel valuable. Pick up the phone and call the agents on your hit list this week. You might be surprised to see how many are willing to meet with you. Make recruiting a priority now.
Profitable Recruiter Members – be sure to check out the Webinar-on-Demand with Mark Strosnider. While you’re there be sure ALL your agents listen in to Marti Hampton’s insights. Both of these presentations were powerful in content. Mark consistently hires 30+ agents per year and what he has to say about staying in touch, following up, and using humor is something EVERY recruiter should listen to before they get on their next call. Marti shared how she got 100+ leads in less than two weeks with two VERY innovative marketing strategies that I’m sure savvy agents will be adopting all across North America. Thank you to both of these top professionals for their candor and their willingness to share. Login to watch these on demand now.
If you’re ready to dial up your recruiting and position yourself to attract the agents you want sooner rather than later, join top brokers from around the nation who are members of www.TheProfitableRecruiter.com.
You’ll get all the tools you need each month to position yourself as the broker to join when agents are ready to make a move. Fine-tuning your skills this season? All pro members get access to over SEVEN hours of training via downloadable links including interview skills, scripts, objection handlers, and more. PLUS, you’ll have access to entire libraries of recruiting letters and notes, emails, social media content, training webinars for recruiting and retention, and opportunities to network with the best of the best.
Join today and take advantage of our special offer of 45% off with the promo code 45OFF any membership. That’s 45% off everything you need to be in the right place at the right time when the agents you want are ready to make a move!