Keeping Your Team Together
By Real Estate Recruiting Coach Judy LaDeur
Today’s best agents are being heavily recruited, and the options that are being presented are enticing: Checks, marketing packages, leads, specialized branding, shiny new tools and even retirement options. For many Brokers that we are talking to, it’s definitely more stressful than it has been in the past. New technology and changes in the way that business is being done require that Brokers stay sharp, at the top of their game and in tune with the tools agents need to compete in a world where consumers are more educated and also have more options.
Are Brokers losing their agents to the competition? That depends. Most of our clients are NOT losing agents, or at least no more than normal. It is recruiting season, which means that a certain percentage of agents will change firms, but the question is why are they leaving, and what are they looking for?
Here are some facts with regard to why agents leave firms
- Weak agents will always look for an easier way to make a living.
- If the company is not staying current, delivering the tools that agents need, the best agents will leave.
- Some agents are not prepared for retirement, which might only be a few years away. They are looking for a solution. If your company does not have a solution, you might lose those agents.
- Agents want to feel appreciated and will leave if they feel they aren’t.
- For some agents, it’s all about money, so they will leave for a higher split, lower fee, or a check.
- Some agents are not willing to do what it takes to succeed, so they quit.
If you are losing 10% of your agent base per year, or more, you definitely should take steps to increase retention.
But the question today is, “Will the new startup companies in the market, or the many changes taking place, make it more difficult to retain your agents?” That depends on YOU, the Broker.
Retention is about creating VALUE on two levels. You with the agent and the agent with the consumer. Both are your responsibility.
Ask yourself these questions:
- Do your agents have what they need to compete in today’s real estate market?
- Are you meeting the needs of the agents and the demands of the consumer?
- Are your agents educated about their competition, and can they show enough value to overcome objections and secure the listing?
- Are you engaged and connected to your agents? Do they enjoy working at your firm?
- Is each of your agents selling at least 6 homes per year?
- Do your agents have the technology to be fully mobile?
If the answers to those questions are yes, then you are doing great. If not, what can you do to fully support the agents, and meet the demands of the consumer?
A NAR 2018 survey shows that 85% of agents want to be fully mobile when it comes to their real estate career. They want to manage their transactions from start to finish on their mobile device. They also want what they need to be delivered fast because speed matters today. The consumer expects speed and when the agents don’t, or can’t respond fast enough, it creates stress.
The good news is that it’s still about the relationship for most agents, as well as most consumers. Here are some ideas to maintain that relationship:
- Create a superior “high touch” experience for the agent and consumer.
- Use videos to stay in touch with agents and clients. It’s more personal.
- Add a Consumer Care Specialist or Agent Services Specialist.
- Use technology to automate processes and increase efficiency, allowing them to sell more with less stress.
- The MAJORITY of Home Sellers and Buyers still want an agent to hold their hand during the transaction.
What’s Your Action Plan?
- Your Agents Are Your #1 Asset and #1 Clients. How can you honor that relationship?
- They love food, fun, and recognition!
- Now is the also the time to teach your agents who want “out” to sell their business and transfer it to one of your agents.
Let today’s changes inspire and motivate you to create new ways of doing business and propel your business to a new level.
Profitable Recruiter Members, log in here and visit webinars on demand to watch our recent webinar all about the DISRUPTORS in our industry.
Continue to learn how to be the master recruiting skills and be the broker to join in your market. Bookmark our blog, and join The Profitable Recruiter today. We have a full spectrum of membership benefits with all the tools, strategies and solutions you need to position yourself to win this year and every year. Our goal is for you to become the “turn-to” broker in your area for every agent.
Join today and take advantage of our special offer of 45% off with the promo code 45OFF any 6 month or annual membership. That’s 45% off everything you need to be in the right place at the right time when the agents you want are ready to make a move – including SEVEN HOURS of recruiting audio training! What are you waiting for? When you join – you and up to 10 managers can access your account! Try it for a month and see what it can do for you.